Isn't it strange how we can remember exactly what we were doing at the exact time the first plane hit the World Trade Center? I've heard story after story of what people were doing and I find it so interesting that everyone remembers, even to the tiniest detail....and I think that's why we'll NEVER forget.
As I look back on the past 10 years of my life, it's seems so surreal. On a normal day, I can't remember what I did an hour ago, much less 10 years ago! But I remember this day so vividly, like it just happened. I was sitting in my apartment getting ready for class (yes it was an 8am class and I was actually going) ha! But I remember, I was in my room, sitting on my bed, putting on my make-up. My sister was in the bathroom. I was watching the today show and it all started to unfold. Not yet knowing that it was a terrorist attack, I called my mom in complete shock. My sister and I are now in my room just glued to the t.v. As I'm talking to my mom, she's in the bath and knew nothing. Hadn't even seen it on t.v. yet. We are still on the phone when the second one hits and at that moment we all froze. No words, no breath, nothing. I remember it so clear, every detail. I can even remember the emotion we felt. It was nothing I've ever felt before, and pray I never feel again. The pain, sadness, sickening, helpless, anger, and all other horrible feelings all mixed into one. Knowing that I, who had no connection to anybody involved in that tragedy, felt the way I did, I cannot even begin to imagine how the victims & their families felt. Needless to say, I did not make it to class that day.
So now, 10 years later, my life is completely different. Instead of a carefree college kid, I'm a wife & a mommy. I look at 9.11 from a whole different perspective and realize what those people lost. As we remember this anniversary, I am so proud to call America home. I am proud of what we "as a family" have overcome. I am proud that we never gave up. I am proud of our troops, who sacrifice their own families so that we can be free. I am a proud American, and I will NEVER FORGET.
God Bless this country & the families of 9.11.01

No comments:
Post a Comment